Saturday, June 27, 2009

What I know about art!

Let me just start by saying I am not an artist. I am okay, good, maybe even skilled, but by no means can I classify myself as an artist.
This weekend I finished the nursery for my soon to be baby girl. Being this is my first child I decided to throw caution to the wind and create a mural with characters from our theme (Dr. Seuss. See his work at http://www.drseussart.com) It turned out beautifully, if I do say so myself. But the reactions both before and after, from my lovely wife, got me thinking about how people think about art. Before I had started it, my wife was reticent about me marking up her wall, and after, when it was done, her eyes said it before she could speak it. I knew I could throw something up there that would pass, I don’t think it is art by any means, but I would like to think she was floored. She was bragging to her friends sending photos out to everyone. I am also proud of the work, and of course plenty of my friends had to see my work. (You too can see it at http://picasaweb.google.com/Hayson337)
The reaction - the art. First while I think Dr. Seuss is art in one form. I don’t think it to be necessarily a complex or moving piece of work. I do think he was able to capture the attention of the viewer and convey motion vividly. I think that is why it works so well with young minds. Notice I did not mention children. I want to think that adults who still are young at heart can appreciate this kind of art for what it is - art.
What else I know about art. Art is what a person likes, thus there is a lot of art out there that is way beyond my tastes. What I do like is art that grabs a person when they first look at it and then after fifteen minutes of staring at it they notice it again like they are looking at it for the first time. I have several favorite artists that do this. One would be Claude-Joseph Vernet (1714-1789) I make a pilgrimage to a little museum in San Diego every year (Timken), just to spend a few moments staring at a piece of art painted two hundred and fifty years ago (A Seaport at Sunset http://www.timkenmuseum.org/) Like any great piece of work you have to see it to understand.
Who I know about art. I like to brag that I am the most fortunate person in the world. I say this because I am married to the most wonderful person in the world, have the most caring and supportive family in the world, and I have the coolest friends in the world and right now I am going to focus on the one who brings art to a new level for me.
The Caleb Merrick – The Art God. He is a true artist in the deepest meaning of the word. To compare him to other gods of art, I would mix up the brilliant figures of Rembrandt and his manipulation of shadows. To the vivid colors of Boldini, I’m still looking a speck of black in his work. I would also add the depth of Michelangelo and Da Vinci with all the hidden meanings thrown together. I have known Caleb for a long time and have experienced his work first hand. I guess what I want to say is he is brilliant. I think he has a ability that few possess and a hand touched by God. If you don’t believe me see his work in person, or what his demo reel at: http://www.calebmerrick.com/
One day he will be more well known than he is now. Like a good friend of Dr. Seuss once said to him “There will come a day when” Caleb’s work, “will be seen by millions!”

By Jason E. Lee
Author of “Visions of the Unknown”








No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Jason Eric Lee was born in Clarinda, Iowa. He moved to and continues to reside in, the arid region of the world, often referred to as a desert. Jason is a fan of all things science fiction. Some of his favorite authors include Douglas Adams, George Lucas and Michael Crichton. Jason has several friends and family members, who have always been an inspiration to him. There are several rumors that he secretly trains small puppies to do household chores, for him and his family. Jason emphatically denies this, continually pointing out that he would rather shoot himself than ever own let alone train any animals, including the small furry and albeit sometimes cute ones. There are other rumors still that he has also been spotted repeatedly having brunch with such characters as Bob Sasquatch and Joseph Big Foot. When confronted by this he is most likely to respond with, something along the lines of: “Stepped in what?” Jason does however thoroughly enjoy life – what-ever the cost. He is most proud of (in this order): Mckenna Kaeko Lil Al a small book he published named "Visions of the Unknown"

Followers